Thursday, April 29, 2010

More from RT - Days 3 and 4

Day 3
  • Met with several aspiring authors during Agent/Author interviews, which I have to say is my favorite part of RT, and got to hear some incredible pitches! Here's a tip for future RT-aspiring-author-attendees, pitch what you're passionate about. Don't worry about whether what you've written is "saleable" or not. That's the agent's job and we'll tell you. But, when you're passionate about what you've written, it will be evident in your submission. Just make sure you can write! ;) We'll tell you that too!
  • Spent most of the day, if not the entire day with Lori and Holly who are two of the most amazing women I've ever had the chance to meet and I meet amazing women every day! When Lori tells you she loves what she does, she's not lying and she's awesome to watch "in action". In a few panels I attended, Lori and I seemed to be the "buzz" when the talk about agenting for the electronic market came up.
  • Saw one of the panel attendees using an iPad with keyboard to take notes and schedule her appointments then switch to her notes with such envious speed that I think... and this could just be my imagination... that she was able to go back in time with her typing speed.
  • Met up with with my friend Annie, whom I've missed dearly, and had a fantastic dinner and girl-talk. Even inspired her muse with a few ideas for submission to Ravenous Romance.
Day 4
  • This was to be my last day at RT and I made sure to take advantage of the Pub Spotlights to talk to Treva Harte, co-owner of Loose Id and first author I've seen to write cowpunk, Elaine English, literary attorney extraordinaire and the fabulously wondrous Stephanie "Flash" Burke. We talked about everything and anything and got so caught up in our conversation that Treva almost didn't check out of the hotel in time and Elaine nearly missed her chance at picking up her copies at the UPS Store for her next panel (which I'm kicking myself for missing!)
  • We got to hear the pub spotlight from Angela James for Carina Press and am really excited about this new imprint. I mean, how could you NOT be? It's truly a digital publisher with the backing of Harlequin but not the influence. Their marketing strategies for their authors are pretty fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing the first books selling on June 7th.
  • Had a few people approach me as I exited one venue or another and ask about the need for an agent in ePublishing and then quickly pitching their work to me. Made me feel like a rock and roll star. LOL
This has been the experience of a lifetime, really and I'm so excited to be a trailblazer in the ePub market. An agent who will look at your ePub contracts and help launch the careers of the next "big thing" in publishing. It's pretty awesome to be in this industry!