Thursday, August 26, 2010

Being a Fangirl and an Agent

On Being a Fangirl

I have been very fortunate to be able to represent authors whose works I love and whose careers I want to see grow. Being a fangirl of many of my authors' works prior to representing them, I think, has given me the advantage in knowing their voice well and being able to translate that to my pitch is seamless. While I love to read queries and find great stories with strong voices there too, I have to admit having an author whose works you've loved for a while contact you and ask you to be their agent is mind-blowing! Recently, I added Sean Kennedy, Alex Beecroft, M. Jules Aedin and Heidi Cullinan to my list of clients and their works have been stories that when I first read them I was in awe and quickly ran to tell my friends of the new books they needed to buy.

On Being an Agent

Turning that relationship from fangirl extraordinaire to agent representing the author's best interest has been pretty easy for me. If I love the story, I can sell it. If I love the author, I will fight to the death for their success. I want their books sold, not JUST because I make money for my efforts but because I'm a fangirl, first and foremost, and can't bear the thought of not having their works out there for me to buy. I suppose being selfish in this business is a good thing.

So, am I still reading queries?

Oh hell yes, I am! I've received some rather interesting ones and am looking forward to diving back into my query pile later this week. I've got queries dating back to May 1st and am slowly going through them. I answer every query so if it takes me a while to get back to you, please forgive me but know you will get a response from me one way or another. If you have submitted a query prior to May 1 and have not heard from me, nudge me. It's very likely that your query ended up in my spam folder and I didn't see it. I don't want to miss an opportunity to become your fangirl too!