Sunday, October 17, 2010

Busy October

I'm used to being busy. In fact, when I'm NOT busy, I panic. But this month, it just seems like I'm more busy than usual. I think it's because I'm preparing for a vacation in the middle of the month that just pushes everything around it to double-stack on the fringes of the week. Add to the melee of work, friends with medical procedures, kids with double-homework, school functions and family events I need to either plan or help in the planning and you have a month where you find yourself wishing for a time-turner, a flux capacitor and your handy towel.

So how do you get anything done when you have a month jam-packed with events? How do you find the time to write or read or just wind down?

I have found it absolutely necessary to take 1 or 2 days off each night to spend "decompressing". I dedicate these days to do things with the kids, watch TV, read a book, or veg on the couch with my dog while playing Sims 3. Without these days, I think I would either have a nervous breakdown, a psychotic episode or strange combination of the two.

In a few hours, I'll be sailing away with my family on a Sweet 16 cruise for my daughter. I've been looking forward to this trip for the year we've had it planned and scheduled. But, of course, as the day approached I found myself running around trying to get everything done as if nothing had been planned. For some reason, even while knowing the date was fast approaching, the last-minute details still caught me off-guard. The past few days have been extremely hectic and stressful. It is time for a real vacation where I can rest, relax and completely decompress. Having a week off from all responsibilities is going to be awesome! I'm going to remain unplugged. That's right, no email, Internet access, Facebook or Twitter updates... just me, a cold drink, my iPad and some hot manuscripts to read! Woooo-zaaahhhh!