Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Digital Publishing Does Not Equal Sub-par Quality

A lot of what I do involves editing works from my clients. If the work is not clean when I get it, I have no qualms about sending it back to them for a quick polish and reserve line editing manuscripts to those works I know need just a little extra push to make them submission-worthy. After all, I don’t want my name or my client’s name attached to a sub-par manuscript. Sometimes, editing takes a little longer than my client is willing to wait. Believe me, it’s worth the wait!

Now, I’m going to say something here some folks may not like but… *shrugs* It’s the truth.

Digital Publishing does not equal sub-par quality publishing any more than Traditional Publishing equals quality publishing. I’ve read crappy books in both and even more in the Self Publishing arena but I’ve also read some fantastic gems as well. Just because your digital publisher can publish your work in less than 12 months (in some instances) it does not mean the quality of the work published has to suffer. The story has to be good. Period. If your agent, critique partner, editor say “it’s not ready”, don’t take it as an affront. Gird those loins with a bigger set of draw’rs and clean up the work. We’re doing it for your own good… and for our own as well.