Thursday, June 14, 2012

Blog Challenge #4: Summer Schedules are made for Keurigs

My work hours are varied at best and extremely crazy all of the time. When you work from home, it's easy to forget to take breaks, eat lunch or dinner and stop yourself from working through the night. I have calendar reminders set up to tell me to "get up and walk around" and "go eat something solid". Now that the kids are home from school, remembering to feed them helps me to remember to feed myself but it's also an opportunity to teach my kids about work responsibility.

I was up late last night going through queries when my youngest asked me if I always work "this late". It was 2 AM. I looked up from my laptop, smiled and nodded. When they're in school, my workday typically starts at 6 AM and ends around 5 PM when I start making dinner. I spend my evening with them and avoid email and social media as best I can until they're nighttime routine is complete and they're in bed. I return to work around 10 PM and make up "for lost time". During the summer, my hours are a little more relaxed. I get to sleep in until almost 8 AM! Win!

I know many of my author clients have the same type of schedule with their kids at home for the summer. Some of my clients even homeschool their kids and still manage to churn out 3-4 books per year! They're my inspiration and the reason my Keurig gets one hell of a workout!