Ready to be Done with Family Emergencies

We went to visit my aunt last week in Tampa and found that she's not been able to swallow anything for several months. Doctor ordered endoscopy and found a mass in her esophagus. They did a biopsy and found the mass to be cancerous but also found that the tumor had spread down her esophagus into her stomach. The prognosis is not good without surgery and aggressive radiation and chemotherapy. She's 70 and while she was strong in her earlier years, she's grown frail in the past few months. She's my Mom's eldest sister (Mom's the second youngest of seven) and the one she's closest to since they were born on the same day, ten years apart.

Her lease is up next week and her daughter is moving them out of their apartment and needs help. So we're heading back down to Tampa this Saturday to help pack up their things.

This comes at the heels of my uncle being diagnosed with Alzheimer's last summer and learning a few weeks ago that he no longer recognizes anyone, including his wife of 57 years. We'll likely make a trip to Puerto Rico to see him soon.

This has been a year of family emergencies and illnesses and the year is only one month old! I'm ready to be done with it.

Comments

  1. It's so hard to see the ones who always were so strong fade away. Hugs! I grew up in Tampa. :) Miss the bread from La Segunda Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle. I enjoy seeing your tweets whenever I'm on twitter but I haven't been on there as regularly as usual, so I had no idea. I wish you and your family strength and peace through these troubling times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It hasn't been easy but we're managing to stay positive and doing our best to keep the family in good spirits. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Facts About Me

My Favorite Reads of 2021

I Failed the Goodreads Challenge in 2018