|Photo by Ben Terrett|
So I ask myself:
- Is the work engaging?
- Does the author have an established platform?
- Does the work need a lot of editorial work or just a quick polish?
- Do I have the time to devote to the editorial needs of this work?
- Do I have the time to devote to the needs of this author?
- Off the top of my head, how many editors can I pitch this to?
- Is this too similar to something I already represent?
- Is this a topic I'm passionate about?
- Does the book have series potential? Does it need it?
I'm also mindful of the industry and where it's going. If the book is a stand-alone, will the author be able to crank out other books that will keep the pipeline full and establish a readership?
So many questions but the most important have to do with time management. If I can't devote the time to the author that they need to be a success then I can't, in good judgment, offer representation.